Alexandra Villeminey  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:00
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 1

Dear Translators,
be aware that the agency TranslateSync might be a scam. Not only do they not answer any emails or phone calls, their payment threshold is 1000USD which you will never reach and they request to introduce confidential payment card data on their platform.

[Edited at 2024-03-07 08:53 GMT]

Muhammad Habib
Lorenzo Rossi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alexandra Mar 1

Thank you, but AFAIK you can't name names on Proz, but you can open a BB entry, even if that particular agency is not on Proz...

Sascha Heß
Sascha Heß
Germany
English to German
Same suspicion Mar 1

I do have the same suspicion. I wrote multiple emails to various addresses over the last 2 days but there is complete radio silence and the translation I submitted is under review for one week now.
If it turns out to be true that this is in fact a scammer, we do have a completely new (at least for me) quality of scam on our hands. You have to do a video interview, online test of 2 hours and will receive NDA/compliance documents and on-boarding material and a user account on their site. Thi
... See more
I do have the same suspicion. I wrote multiple emails to various addresses over the last 2 days but there is complete radio silence and the translation I submitted is under review for one week now.
If it turns out to be true that this is in fact a scammer, we do have a completely new (at least for me) quality of scam on our hands. You have to do a video interview, online test of 2 hours and will receive NDA/compliance documents and on-boarding material and a user account on their site. This is all very well made and really looks like an agency.
Collapse

Alexandra Villeminey

Fabian Deckwirth
Fabian Deckwirth  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same... Mar 5

I'm very curious how this scam works. The text that I received to translate had 5500 words and was supposed to be an annual balance, but the whole thing looked more like an AI-generated text full of blablabla than an actual annual balance. I then asked them to enter into a contract with me or to at least provide me registration numbers. Nothing. Asked them again. Nothing. Obviously, I didn't send my translation.

However, I suspect that this is not about translation work itself. Do t
... See more
I'm very curious how this scam works. The text that I received to translate had 5500 words and was supposed to be an annual balance, but the whole thing looked more like an AI-generated text full of blablabla than an actual annual balance. I then asked them to enter into a contract with me or to at least provide me registration numbers. Nothing. Asked them again. Nothing. Obviously, I didn't send my translation.

However, I suspect that this is not about translation work itself. Do they, instead, place a Trojan horse or any sort of spyware in your computer? There is the fishy one-way interview and the 2-3 hour long text translation, during which it is made sure you don't click on anything while taking it. So there is access to your screen at least for the time of the translation test.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino
Karin Raffa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I would have run Mar 5

as soon as a video interview was mentioned. And monitored online test? Of hours??

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Alison Jenner

Tine Reichert
Tine Reichert
Germany
Member (2022)
English to German
+ ...
Curious too Mar 5

Yeah, I dropped out when they asked for the one-way interview. I don't like my face being recorded by someone refusing to show theirs. Also I didn't even know if they were willing to accept my rates at that point, so why bother with an interview?
Still, I'm incredibly curious what this is all about...

Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Karin Raffa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
crypto mining? Mar 5

Fabian Deckwirth wrote:

However, I suspect that this is not about translation work itself. Do they, instead, place a Trojan horse or any sort of spyware in your computer? There is the fishy one-way interview and the 2-3 hour long text translation, during which it is made sure you don't click on anything while taking it. So there is access to your screen at least for the time of the translation test.

Nick Scheunemann
Nick Scheunemann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No way to delete the user account Mar 6

Yeah, so I fell for I, too and it was exactly the same process as described by other users. After I grew suspicious of the agency I checked my profile and I realised there is no way to delete your account.
Although I never downloaded the file for the „project“ they assigned me with, I took part in the video interview and the translation test and I set up an account including my email adress, name and phone number.

This was about two weeks ago and aside from a possibly un
... See more
Yeah, so I fell for I, too and it was exactly the same process as described by other users. After I grew suspicious of the agency I checked my profile and I realised there is no way to delete your account.
Although I never downloaded the file for the „project“ they assigned me with, I took part in the video interview and the translation test and I set up an account including my email adress, name and phone number.

This was about two weeks ago and aside from a possibly unrelated scam call on WhatsApp nothing suspicious has happened.

I am very concerned, though. Thanks to my stupidity they do have a video of my face and audio of my voices And I’m not sure how to proceed here, aside from performing a system check up on my antivirus software.

How did everyone react after they found out it was a scam and had already submitted personal information and possibly even downloaded a file from the agency’s website?
Collapse

Alexandra Villeminey
Alexandra Villeminey  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment Card Details Mar 7

I guess they make the whole process so long in order to motivate you to enter your payment card details at the end because you already invested so much time and effort and just want to get paid somehow. I believe the scam is all about that. I contacted the ProZ team, hopefully they can at least ban these people...

Karin Raffa

Nick Scheunemann
Nick Scheunemann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Possible purpose Mar 7

I guess that might be an explanation. However, they did send the links that we clicked on and we gave them some personal information. Although my antivirus software can’t find anything I do wonder wether or not they had some kind of access do our laptops (and phones, as the interview was done via phone), while we spent so much time on their website answering all these dumb questions.

Anyone here with better tech knowledge then me to judge that?

P.s. their website seem
... See more
I guess that might be an explanation. However, they did send the links that we clicked on and we gave them some personal information. Although my antivirus software can’t find anything I do wonder wether or not they had some kind of access do our laptops (and phones, as the interview was done via phone), while we spent so much time on their website answering all these dumb questions.

Anyone here with better tech knowledge then me to judge that?

P.s. their website seems to be offline by now
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Alexandra Mar 7

Alexandra Villeminey wrote:

Dear Translators,
be aware that the agency TranslateSync might be a scam. Not only do they not answer any emails or phone calls, their payment threshold is 1000USD which you will never reach and they request to introduce confidential payment card data on their platform.

[Edited at 2024-03-07 08:53 GMT]

I am a bit confused here. You think that the agency is a scam, so I looked them up on the Blueboard. Only one entry, namely you, and you gave them a 5! May I ask why? (????)

[Edited at 2024-03-07 16:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-07 17:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-07 17:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-07 17:59 GMT]

Nick Scheunemann
Nick Scheunemann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What data did they phish? Mar 8

Does anybody remember which personal data they asked for during:

-registration on their website (which is not available anymore)
-account creation after they gave you your ID and password

My profile on their website „only“ showed name, e-mail and phone number. Is that all they have? I can’t remember registering with them in detail.

Nives Sutakovic
Nives Sutakovic  Identity Verified
France
Member (2022)
English to German
+ ...
I had the same experience Mar 11

Same happened to me. I even did the translation. Nobody ever answered my emails and their phone number in London is not working. It is all a scam. Now their website is not working anymore. The website is registered with namesheap.com and all the data of owners is hidden. There is a phone number in Island +3544212434 .
This seems to be a US registered website, but below there is something with Ukraine. All very sketchy. Yes, the one way video, the test, terrible. They got us with the rates
... See more
Same happened to me. I even did the translation. Nobody ever answered my emails and their phone number in London is not working. It is all a scam. Now their website is not working anymore. The website is registered with namesheap.com and all the data of owners is hidden. There is a phone number in Island +3544212434 .
This seems to be a US registered website, but below there is something with Ukraine. All very sketchy. Yes, the one way video, the test, terrible. They got us with the rates they offer. I certainly hope that Proz will set up better rules and barriers for who can publish for jobs on their website.
Collapse

Karin Raffa

Nele Kirstein
Nele Kirstein  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here Mar 13

I also fell for them. I'm usually very suspicous and careful with agencies but the whole thing seemed so elaborate and legit...
I don't remember entering any payment details, so they probably have my email and phone number, but nothing sketchy has happened so far.

I thought I had just worked for free (bad enough) but after reading your comments I'm concerned they may somehow have accessed our computers...

I've never had such an experience. Any advice on how to pr
... See more
I also fell for them. I'm usually very suspicous and careful with agencies but the whole thing seemed so elaborate and legit...
I don't remember entering any payment details, so they probably have my email and phone number, but nothing sketchy has happened so far.

I thought I had just worked for free (bad enough) but after reading your comments I'm concerned they may somehow have accessed our computers...

I've never had such an experience. Any advice on how to proceed?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency might be a scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »